Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Art of Advertising in 1835

Wednesday, June 22, 2011
Loretta reports:
Because Marcelline, the heroine of Silk is for Seduction, (my new book) owns an up and coming dressmaking shop, she needs to advertise.  In researching the story, my nerdy heart was thrilled when I found actual advertisements from the early 19th century.  The book quotes several that have a bearing on the story, and in various posts here I've featured specific ads for hair productscure-alls, corsets, and beauty aids.

I could quote more, but I think it’s a lot more fun to look at the ads themselves.  These are from the 1835 Court Journal.  You might have to zoom in to read them, but I believe it’s worth the effort.  Maybe it's just my nerdiness, but on every advertising page, I find something that entertains or intrigues me.  What about you?

4 comments:

Lyn S said...

I like old ads. As a child we had an oversized Sears catalog reprint that was fascinating. And I miss the old ads on the table tops when Subway sandwich shops modernized.

Charles Bazalgette said...

Do you have access to The Times archive, Loretta? A rich haul there, from 1785 onwards.

Anonymous said...

There is a book out-- but the title unfortunately escapes me this minute-- made up of a collection of the Agony column in the Times.
Quite a few suggestions of plots for novelists there.

LorettaChase said...

Lyn S, I have some old advertising posters from a long-gone soda fountain. Love them. Charles, I don't have access to the Times archive, and I've no idea how to obtain same. Suggestions welcome!

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket