Friday, December 16, 2011

Looking into the future from the 1920s

Friday, December 16, 2011
Loretta reports:

I often wonder what my early 19th century characters would make of my world.  They might have imagined people flying, but what sort of device would they picture?  What would they imagine we'd be wearing?   Could they envision the demise of the horse as transportation?


Though this film was made in the 1920s and 1930s, it does give us an idea of the limitations of our minds as well as the leaps we can make.  And the clothes are pretty interesting.  Note the cantilevered shoes, especially.



Please note:  If you receive our blog via RSS Feed (email), you might see only a black rectangle where the video should be.  To watch the show, please click on the link to our blog.

4 comments:

MrsC (Maryanne) said...

Brilliant!! So utterly exotic and unlike the prosaicness of our reality :)

The Lady Ship said...

This is just perfect! "For the 20th century the future looks bright"... oh my! Prooves again it's good to not know the future.

hopegreenberg said...

Thanks for posting. It's delightful but I wonder who compiled this. I would have to say that it was put together recently. The fonts used are modern and the clips themselves are compiled from several times/sources. For example, the 30s fashions of the future come from here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9eAiy0IGBI and the scenes from Metropolis can be here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j8Ba9rWhUg

nightsmusic said...

New or old, I agree. Sometimes, it's better to not know...

As a side note, I don't know why, but when I've used either Firefox or Chrome, I can still view the video in Google Reader. Odd...

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket