Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Birthday Ride in an 18th c. Carriage

Sunday, August 14, 2011
Susan reporting:

As I mentioned earlier, I've been spending a long weekend here in Colonial Williamsburg, where it has been both hot (usual for August) and smokey (very unusual, due to the long-range drifting smoke from the fires in the Great Dismal Swamp, NC.) Please look for several upcoming posts related to historic dress - I promise good things on the way!

In the meantime, here's a lovely photograph that captures the magic of Williamsburg. CW tailor Mark Hutter granted his younger daughter's wish for her fifth birthday: an early-morning carriage ride through the town. Here Mark and the his two daughters show how to travel in proper style, c. 1770.


Photograph copyright © 2011 Susan Holloway Scott

8 comments:

Mary Rhinelander said...

A belated happy birthday, Miss Hutter! What a gorgeous day to remember!

Anonymous said...

May I have this for my birthday, too?
Adore the little girls' outfits. So pretty! Remind me of old Kate Greenway illustrations.

Molly M. said...

That is seriously one of the coolest birthday gifts. All historically dressed up driving about in a carriage. Love it!

Sara Lindsey said...

What a gorgeous photo! I know what I want for my next birthday...

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely photograph! Thanks for sharing it! The little girls' dresses remind me of Kate Greenaway too!

Kendra said...

Oh wow! How I would have loved to do this for my fifth birthday--or even 25th! :) I'm sure his daughter will treasure that special carriage ride always.

Open Eyes Open Heart said...

what an excellent birthday! I would have and still would love such a birthday celebration. Also, they are quite precious in those outfits.

Carla Gade said...

What wonderful way to celebrate a birthday! A precious picture and I'm sure a precious memory. I was at CW last week and also experienced the smoke and the heat. My writer friend was there in a tavern on the day of the earthquake. Oh, my!

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket