Thursday, June 22, 2017

The Wallace Collection

Thursday, June 22, 2017
Loretta reports from London:

Though I had already put the Wallace Collection on my list of must-sees, the enthusiasm of our guide on a Marylebone walking tour led us to seek it out sooner rather than later.

As we came through the entrance, I think my head snapped back, and I had an image of myself with my eyes popping out of my head like a cartoon character. I've been to quite a few stately homes and museums, but I must say that none quite matched the visual impact of this. Though no photos can fully capture the experience, these will, I hope, offer a sense of the house. I also urge you to explore the website.

Meanwhile, we have our fingers crossed that time and circumstances will allow us to go back before we have to leave London.






7 comments:

Hels said...

Many years ago I asked art history buffs which was their favourite gallery or collection. Small world! My choice was the Wallace Collection in London :)

Have a look at the various responses, both in the blog post and in the comments section.

http://melbourneblogger.blogspot.com.au/2009/06/worlds-favourite-art-galleries.html

Nancy Nichols said...

I'm so glad you got to go! Several years ago we went, and if course my husband, the fight choreographer/actor was there for THE SWORDS, which are magnificent! If any of your characters are fencers or plotting duels, you can check out the appropriate era's weaponry and other clanking gear. Pretty magnificent place all around!
Best,
Nancy

Unknown said...

Um yes please, can someone please redecorate my office like this one!
Thank you for sharing

Unknown said...

I was lucky enough to visit the Wallace Collection last year.

Annette Naish said...

What a beautiful place. Thank you so much for sharing.

Lucy said...

Somebody knows a thing or two (or three) about display lighting. Those rooms must have been attention-getting in their day, but that breath-taking wallpaper that appears teal-blue in the photograph never looked like that by natural daylight, or even candlelight. There is an artist at work in the modern displays, or several, and I would bet that other museums would pay well to get hold of their services.

Loretta Chase said...

Lucy, it's a deep, gorgeous green--and I totally agree about the lighting. The display is spectacular. No photo can capture the stunning ness of this place.

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket