Friday, April 18, 2014

Casual Friday: Dressing for the Easter Ball 1819

Friday, April 18, 2014
Loretta reports:

Whether you plan to show off your Easter finery in a parade or at a ball, or simply wait patiently for a chance to wear some spring clothes (we're still bundled up here in New England and the daffodils are shivering), I hope this image will amuse.



Dandies and Dandizettes dressing for the Easter Ball
Published by Thomas Tegg, 1819

Thanks to Isabella for bringing it to my attention, and to the Rijksmuseum for making it available through the Rijksstudio.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No credit for the great George Cruikshank?

LorettaChase said...

Anonymous, I would give him credit if I could, but neither the Rijksmuseum nor Horace Walpole Library (which also has the print) credit an artist. I'm no expert, but the Cruikshank I find for the lovely dandies prints is Robert, and this doesn't look quite like his exquisite work or his delicious humor. Too, he usually signed the prints. But if anybody has further information, I'd love to be able to give proper credit to the artist.

Diane said...

Dandizettes - now that's a word one does not hear any more. Delightful print - thank you Loretta.

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket