Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A Tiffany Punch Bowl

Wednesday, April 30, 2014
Loretta reports:

I thought it was time for another spectacular item from the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts collection of Art Nouveau works.  We’ve looked at furniture, jewelry, and more jewelry.

Today I present for your viewing pleasure the Tiffany Punch Bowl with Three Ladles.

Some may say it’s over the top—but then, a great deal in this collection falls into that category, and I’m with Mae West:  “Too much of a good thing can be wonderful.”

Not to mention that anybody who’s taken a gander at the Prince Regent’s decor  at the Royal Pavilion will probably bear this sort of thing with fortitude.

Since the accompanying card had so much interesting information, and Art Nouveau is not my area of expertise, I’ll let the museum do the talking.

But I will say that no photograph can do it justice.  If you're in the Richmond area, I strongly recommend a visit to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It reminds me of something you'd find in the world of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings or some wizardy fantasy world. You can easily imagine the swirls in movement, flowing around the bowl. It's beautiful in an otherworldly way. Not what I would expect of Art Nouveau although I am no expert either.

Unknown said...

We're so glad you chose this masterpiece to feature. The punchbowl is too delicate to travel,so that makes yet another reason to visit VMFA for "too much of a good thing." Wonderful job, ladies!

Deb Salisbury, Magic Seeker and Mantua-Maker said...

Wow! How gorgeous! At first glance (in the tiny photo in Bloglovin) I thought it was Cinderella's carriage.

Linda Olson said...

The Driehaus Museum in Chicago also has some exquisite Tiffany pieces. In particular, check out the lamp with the nautilus shells: http://www.driehausmuseum.org/tiffany/gallery#

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket