Sunday, November 8, 2009

What am I? The Mystery Thingee

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Susan reports:

Since you've all been enjoying guessing Loretta's mystery workshop, we decided to offer up another guessing-game.  Or perhaps you won't be guessing at all, but will be able to identify this mystery-object right away.

My only hints: it's from a trade shop in Colonial Williamsburg, and a modern variation of it is still in use today.  Good luck!


Coming Attraction Alert: Since we NHG were in CW for nearly a week, we had the rare
 opportunity to watch the mantua-maker (aka the dressmaker) and her assistants cut, stitch, and fit an entire 18th c. gown.  It's lovely, a pale pink sack gown in the fashionable style so often painted by the French artist Jean-Antoine Watteau (1684-1721) that it's frequently called a gown a la Watteau or a robe a la Francaise.  Later this week, I'll be posting a series of photographs here that show this gown's step-by-step creation and fitting -- tres cool!

Right: detail from Les deux cousines by Antoine Watteau, 1718, Musee du Louvre

7 comments:

Monica Burns said...

Ya'll are just CRUEL! LOL I've seen this tool, but I can't remember what it's for. *sigh*

Vanessa Kelly said...

I swear, that looks like an implement you would use to cut raw dough!

I think I still have to go with some kind of metal working shop.

Vanessa Kelly said...

My husband says the paddle looks like the kind you would use to make fudge!

News From the Holmestead said...

That looks like a carpenter's chisel to me. ~Sherrie Holmes

Jennythenipper said...

Ye Olde Ice Scraper?

Isabella Bradford/Susan Holloway Scott said...

Oh, my, and here I thought this might be too easy!

Alas, no one is particularly close, so here's a clue: the photograph was taken at close range to show the detail. The bottom of the mystery-thing itself is only about two inches across, and the handle's about seven inches long.

But I have to say these have been some very inventive guesses. :)

I'll post the answer late tomorrow night with my new blog....

Anonymous said...

A cheese slicer?

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket