Friday, April 17, 2015

A Surprising Pair of Pistols

Friday, April 17, 2015
Painted Finch
Loretta reports:

Isabella and I have shown you a number of clockwork devices from the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries.  (See blogs here and here for examples & links).

This is a particular favorite of mine.  It inspired one of the stories in Royally Ever After.






Image: Plate 53 of Birds of America by John James Audubon depicting Painted Finch (1827-1838), courtesy Wikipedia [edited].

Readers who receive our blog via email might see a rectangle, square, or nothing where the video ought to be.  To watch the video, please click on the title to this post.

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

I'm so glad you posted this because I couldn't get to the site with the link in the book. Probably was my typing though. :-)

These pistols are just amazing. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I recently saw an episode of the TV show "Royal Pains" and i think they had a pair of singing bird pistols in an auction scene.
Do you think it would have been these?
They were lovely, and caught my eye because they were so unusual.

Cynthia Lambert said...

Marvelous! Must have taken years to design and execute these.

Elena Jardiniz said...

Amazing! I really wonder who they were made for, what happened to them down through the years to be kept in such pristine condition too.

Helena said...

I followed the link you gave in the book and was entranced by these gorgeous pistols. You made perfect use of them in your story!

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket