Thursday, January 31, 2013

Return Engagement: Maillardet’s Wonderful Mechanical Exhibition

Thursday, January 31, 2013
Loretta reports:

[Update: The movie Hugo, which I watched recently, reminded me of The Juvenile Artist described below.]

As usual, looking for something else, I happened upon the pages of Advertisements for June in an 1807 La Belle AssemblĂ©e.  I was particularly charmed by this ad for an exhibition of automata—and thrilled to find a video of one of Maillardet’s works* on YouTube.



The Musical Lady. Video of an 18th C automaton made for Marie Antoinette.
*The Juvenile Artist. The Maillardet automaton.
The British Fortune-Teller.  A modern magician automaton.
A Beautiful Bird.  18th C singing bird box.

For more automata, see my post on the singing bird pistols.


From La La Belle assemblĂ©e or, Bell's Court and Fashionable Magazine, Vol. II.  Publisher J. Bell, 1807

4 comments:

jan godown annino said...

FABULOUS!
Thank you ,Two NH Girls, as always, for finding the bestest bestest!

Happy February to you.

Isobel Carr said...

There’s a great book about automata: The Turk: The Life and Times of the Famous Eighteenth-Century Chess-Playing Machine by Tom Standage. I really enjoyed it.

Lynn said...

I had seen the first ones before, having helped my daughter with a project on the Hugo Cabret, but I had never seen the singing bird box or the singing bird pistols! So interesting!

Lynn said...

Sorry, I meant the Hugo Cabret novel.

There was an error in this gadget
 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket