Friday, March 29, 2013

Friday Video: Glorious Paintings & Fashion, 1860-1880

Friday, March 29, 2013
Isabella reporting,

Last week I left my keyboard for the day and went to see the latest art & fashion exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. Impressionism, Modernity, & Fashion may have an unwieldy title, but it's a glorious, thoughtful show, filled with beautiful late 19th c. paintings and examples of the equally beautiful clothes that inspired the artists - artists that include Cassatt, Degas, Manet, Renoir, Tissot, and Seurat. There's also a fascinating selection of fashion plates, photographs, and accessories, all dating from 1860-1880. I'm going to be writing several blog posts about this show over the next weeks, but today I'm sharing a brief video tour to give you an overview.

Impressionism, Modernity, & Fashion will be at the Met in New York through May 27, and then will travel to the Art Institute of Chicago from June 28-September 22, 2013.

2 comments:

Jennifer Delamere said...

I am going to see this exhibition in May. Very excited about it! Looking forward to reading your posts.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

That was fantastic. Times like this, I wish I lived in NYC. Thanks for sharing the experience with those of us who can't be there.

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket