Friday, December 11, 2015

Shall We Dance?

Friday, December 11, 2015
Loretta reports:

“Zoom zoom, zoom zoom
The world is in a mess ...”

So it is, and so begins the song “Slap that Bass,” which Fred Astaire sang in 1937’s Shall We Dance.

He appears quite often in this video, as he ought, along with many other of my favorite singers/dancers from the movies’ golden age. During the 1930s, musicals offered hours of happy escape from a very difficult world. In that spirit, and the spirit of the holidays, I offer this delightful mashup, wherein great talents of an earlier generation move beautifully to music of our time.


With thanks to author Candice Hern, who posted this on Facebook, and brightened my  day.

Readers who receive our blog via email might see a rectangle, square, or nothing where the video ought to be.  To watch the video, please click on the title to this post.

3 comments:

Jacquilynne said...

This and the all-dancing movie mash-up to Walk the Moon's Shut Up and Dance are basically my favourite things ever.

Drayton Bird said...

The comment I like most on Fred Astaire was from Ginger Rogers: "I do everything he does.Only backwards"

Karen Anne said...

backwards and in high heels, I think she said.

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket