Friday, January 10, 2014

Casual Friday: Moose & Squirrel

Friday, January 10, 2014
Loretta reports:

Among the various effigies and tokens lining my desk is Rocket J. Squirrel.  He and Bullwinkle Moose, Boris Badenov and Natasha Fatale, and all the supporting characters who lead various segments of the Rocky & Bullwinkle Show continue to infect my mind (with puns, among other things), and have probably found their way into my books in ways I may not even recognize. 

This nearly one-hour bio includes representative segments as well as historical insight into the time and circumstances that inspired the show. We have satirical animated cartoon series today, but for some of us, none can surpass Rocky and Bullwinkle.


Readers who receive our blog via email might see a rectangle, square, or nothing where the video ought to be.  To watch the video, please click on the title to this post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Moose and squirrel" still pops unbidden into my mind occasionally, in Boris' voice. The series had a HUGE impact on me. The others were Tennessee Tuxedo and Top Cat. I can still hum the Top Cat theme.

Lauren Gilbert said...

I still enjoy these cartoons. All the sly political commentary is so clear to me now. They were funny to me as a kid, but very few cartoon series hold up as well.

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket