Friday, November 15, 2013

Casual Friday: The Tattooed Lady & Groucho

Friday, November 15, 2013
Groucho Marx
Loretta reports:

Well, there was the way he walked, that stalking, snakelike movement.  And the eyebrows.  And the mustache.  And the way he talked, usually around the big cigar.  I've had a big crush on Groucho Marx since childhood, and this is one of my favorite bits from the Marx Brothers movies.  As one who's a sucker for clever rhymes and lyrics, I find "Lydia, oh, Lydia, that encyclopedia," just irresistible. The song is "Lydia the Tattooed Lady," and the movie is At the Circus.

You may have your own favorite Marx Brothers routine or song.  Feel free to share.  Movie history nerdiness counts as history nerdiness, too.





Photo courtesy Wikipedia.

6 comments:

The Greenockian said...

I went through a phase where I watched all the Marx Brothers films - I loved them. Haven't seen one in ages!
Liz

Scrapiana said...

Compare and contrast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d15JOd75uG8 :D

Momma Bear said...

groucho marx is the reason I named my oldest daughter Lydia!
that has been my favorite song, since if first saw it on saturday morning matinée.
I have loved the marx brothers eveer since.

Myralee Voots said...

Thank you sooooo much! I have always loved the Marx Brothers! What a treat to listen to this, again!

Sarah Macklin said...

That's fabulous. I actually first heard this song performed by Kermit the Frog.

Tami said...

I know this is an old post. (I'm bored at work, so I started at the beginning of this blog and am working my way forward, since I only discovered it 3 or 4 years ago.) I also had a crush on Groucho as a child, and in the mid-70s, a few years before he passed away, I wrote him a fan latter when I was 10 or 11 years old. He responded with an autographed picture - personalize to me! - that I still have to this day. :-) Glad I wasn't the ONLY strange kid!

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket