Saturday, April 14, 2012

Breakfast Links: Week of April 9, 2012

Saturday, April 14, 2012
Served up fresh for weekend delight: our favorite links of the week to other blogs, web sites, video clips, and articles, collected from around the Twitterverse - and while I could have done an entire listing of only Titanic-related links, I promise I didn't.
• The first Sartorialist: the 1906 street style photography of Edward Linley Sambourne.
• Poor Chole! How to reject a girl, 1788.
• A glimpse of author Harper Lee's reclusive life from her sister.
• Unprincipled octogenarian Scottish noble Simon Fraser, Lord Lovat, executed this week in 1747 for his role in Jacobite rebellions.
• So many New York connections to the Titanic, and more here, too.
• "'The Irish glover!' cried Mr. Hill, with a Look of Terror" - the truth about 18th c chicken skin gloves.
• Why some American Civil War soldiers glowed in the dark.
• Did a concoction made from fiddlehead ferns kill 19th c botanist Constantine Rafinesque?
• What happens when a big lorry drives through a small 16th c archway.
Fantastic food for jubilees and other royal occasions.
• Unknown no more: identifying a Civil War soldier.
• The beautiful carved swags on early 19th c houses in Salem, MA.
• Vintage LOL cats.
• When things were still made in the US: business stationary featuring architectural vignettes.
• "Footprints in the cheese": a strange tale of theft, 1770.
• The squirrel: a symbol of saving, spite, and. . .Satan.
• The young Shakespeare among the inns & playhouses of Elizabethan London.
• Death-defying feats: a day at 19th c Cremorne.
• Items from Emily Dickinson Museum at Amherst College, including Emily's poems & lock of her hair.
• The splendid fashions of 1912, or what you might have worn on board the Titanic. More here.
• In the days before CNN, important news - like the assassination of President Lincoln - came in newspaper extra.
• Important invention: the refrigerator, patented in 1803 by Thomas Moore. Early customer: Thomas Jefferson.
• A memorable tale of true love: one of the most poignant stories from the Titanic, and the monument to it.

8 comments:

cynthia said...

Thank You so much for you weekly "Breakfast Links"! Taking me to sites I would never discover on my own!! What a 'Labor of Love', for your readers!

Norma Shephard, director Mobile Millinery Museum said...

Strange you should post the Emily Dickenson piece today. I attended a concert yesterday in Toronto , in which her poem, My Life Closed Twice, was performed. This piece for a soprano voice, by the late Canadian Composer Andrew Svoboda, was spine chilling.

heritagestitchery said...

Morning almost ebbing and I just got to the Titanic entry. Fascinating items thus far..what a
tremendous service you render those
of us unable to cull all the information you gather and share.
There must be some literary award
for this....Thank you, thank you,
for great Sunday AM reading.
Gentility

textilehistorIE said...

Ooh I made it into the Breakfast Links! So jazzed! :D

Donna Seger said...

Thank you, ladies, for including me in this august company! Much appreciated. I really enjoy your weekly links and all of your posts.

nightsmusic said...

Wonderful posts again this week.

I wouldn't have minded a whole blog full of Titanic links. I've been eating them up all week long, though I'm more fascinated with the construction/destruction and the personal stories than the whole movie revival. I will admit though, I'm going next weekend to see the exhibition at the Henry Ford and then will watch the movie in 3D on their IMAX screen.

The Civil War posts really caught my eye. I'd heard of that bacteria before but didn't realize it played a part then too.

Thank you for a fun day! I always learn something new from you. :o)

Isabella Bradford/Susan Holloway Scott said...

Glad everyone enjoys the links! I'm always amazed by how much really interesting *stuff* is so generously shared by way of the internet.

textilehistorIE: I'm forever in you debt for clearing up the truth about chicken-skin gloves - which I'd always thought were from, well, chickens.

Donna, I've always been a sucker for Samuel McIntire. :)

Isabella Bradford/Susan Holloway Scott said...

Theo - You're in luck - I've already bookmarked several more Titanic links for next week. I'm sure at least one or two will make the cut...and one even has a Civil War connection, too. :)

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket