Thursday, January 7, 2010

One More Little Corset

Thursday, January 7, 2010








Susan reports:

Here's one more example of 18th c. child-sized stays as reproduced by the mantua-makers of Colonial Williamsburg. (These are the same stays mentioned by our reader Abby, a former intern in the shop, who remembered showing them to fascinated visitors.) These really are tiny, sized for an infant, and stiffened not with baleen, but with pasteboard – we'd call it cardboard. The lacings are on the back of the stays.

5 comments:

Abby said...

Great pictures and Thank you for the shout out!!! :) :)

Take Care!

nightsmusic said...

You should have stuck your hand in the picture so we'd have a comparison ;-)

Very cool!

Isabella Bradford/Susan Holloway Scott said...

You're welcome, Abby. Glad to have your contributions!

Theo, you're right, out of context it's hard to have grounds for comparison -- and here I was trying so hard to make sure my hands weren't in the picture! *g* Maybe I should carry a small ruler along with my camera...

Anyway, these striped stays really are small, only about six inches or so high. Definitely for a baby. The ones in the other post are for an older child, and, if I remember correctly, were about 10"-11" or so in length.

Vanessa Kelly said...

Oh my gosh! I had no idea they put stays on infants and young children! Always learning something new on TNHGs.

I think I'd rather wear stays than a girdle, any day.

Karla said...

Have you ever tried to do some research about stripped clothes? It'd be fascinating!

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket