Saturday, January 2, 2010

Update: Mrs. Newton's Gown, Finished

Saturday, January 2, 2010
Susan reports:

Many of you will recall our series of blogs this autumn that followed the creation of an 18th c. gown by the mantua-makers of Colonial Williamsburg. It took three blogs to show all the steps of the fittings (here, here, and here
-- quite an undertaking! The gown still wasn't
completed when we left in October, and so I was delighted to see it finally finished and on display in the Margaret Hunter shop at Christmas.
Here it is, left, now with the appropriate lace-edged sleeve ruffles and trim in place, and a most lovely garment it is, too.

For comparison, here's the portrait, right, that inspired the gown: Mrs. Newton by Thomas Durand; collection of Colonial Williamsburg, gift of M. Knoedler.

7 comments:

nightsmusic said...

That dress is gorgeous. I never could tell for sure, but is it a true salmon color? Because if it is, I'd have never been able to wear it. I'd sure have liked to try though ;)

Isabella Bradford/Susan Holloway Scott said...

It's more rose than salmon, IMHO, with a blue-lavender color in the cross-weave of the silk (what makes it "changeable". The color in the reproduction of the painting is supposedly off; I think I was told it had recently been cleaned, and Mrs. Newton was revealed to be wearing a pink gown rather than an orange one under the old varnish -- but the old jpg remains in circulation.

And yup, Theo, I wished I could have tried it on, too. :) Wait 'til you see some of the other gowns and accessories I have coming in the next few weeks -- including a dark red silk cloak with a matching hat and muff. To die for!

Vanessa Kelly said...

Oh, how lovely! I'm a sucker for anything in pink. And I can't wait for the red silk cloak. I love silk clothing, which people seem to be afraid to wear these days - it's expensive and seems so fragile.

Mme.Tresbeau said...

What a beautiful dress! The lace ruffles and collar add so much. Hard to believe this would have been worn by a merchant's wife when it looks worthy of a lady.

May said...

Don't know how I missed the earlier posts about sewing this dress. It's an awesome series that shows exactly how much work went into making clothes in an earlier time. Thank you for adding the links so I could catch up. You ladies have pictures and information that I don't see anywhere else on the internet so please keep it up!

Margaret Porter said...

Such a lovely gown! Thanks for the update. Looking forward to more fashion and folic in this New Year!

Isabella Bradford/Susan Holloway Scott said...

Thank you, all!

Look for an absolutely splendid Regency-era gown in a post from Loretta tomorrow -- and no, it's NOT white muslin. :)

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket