Friday, June 16, 2017

Casual Friday: A Little Balenciaga

Friday, June 16, 2017
Loretta reporting from London:

Yesterday I visited the V& A. I cannot show you pictures of my behind-the-scenes tour of the conservation department because pictures were not allowed, but I can tell you it was fascinating--and the conservationists there are extremely busy. All the time. Because the V&A has about a jillion or more (I like to be precise) works of art of various kinds, and everything deteriorates.

After lunch, I returned with the same London friend who got me into the conservation department, for a tour of the exhibition Balenciaga: Shaping Fashion. A show like this offers about the only opportunity for ordinary people like me to get up close and personal with haute couture. Even viewed through glass, the work is stunning. And even if one is not in love with a particular style, one can admire the artistry.  

 


A quotation from the exhibition:

"Balenciaga alone is a couturier in the truest sense of the word. Only he is capable of cutting material, assembling a creation and sewing it by hand. The others are simply fashion designers." Coco Chanel

















2 comments:

Karen said...

The V&A in my humble opinion is one of the best museums I ever got to visit. Don't get me wrong I loved the British Museum but my heart is at the V&A.

Annette Naish said...

I am not familiar with the Museum, but the clothing is amazing. When you look at the workmanship, it is wonderful. Thank you for allowing me to see what some very fortunate people might wear.

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket