Sunday, December 29, 2013

Day I: Christmas in Colonial Williamsburg, 2013

Sunday, December 29, 2013
Isabella reporting,

I'm fortunate to spend each Christmas with family in Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia. The restored area of 18th c. colonial homes and buildings is always decorated with festive interpretations of traditional decorations, and it's become a tradition here on the blog for me to share photographs of some of my favorites.

If you'd like to check out past years' images, see our Pinterest board here







Tidewater Virginia seldom has a white Christmas, and this year was no exception. While there was plenty of rain in the beginning of my visit, the wet weather was soon replaced with brilliant blue skies,left. Perfect weather for balancing on steps and leaning over railings to take pictures of wreaths!


Whenever I post photographs from Colonial Williamsburg, readers who have also visited wonder how I manage to show empty streets, especially during the holiday season. I promise there's no Photoshop trickery at work; I'm simply there very, very early in the day, when most visitors are still in the local pancake houses.

All photographs by Susan Holloway Scott.

3 comments:

Laura Morrigan said...

I would love to go to Colonial Williamsburg! One day I will!

The Greenockian said...

Those wreaths are very unusual!
Liz

Tragic Sandwich said...

I went to William and Mary for grad school. While I was always traveling to see my family for Christmas itself, I'm really glad that I got to spend several holiday seasons in town. The Grand Illumination was always so much fun!

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket