Saturday, September 5, 2009

Department of Quotation: Flashman

Saturday, September 5, 2009


Loretta reports:

1845

"Mai Jeendan wants to marry you! There now!"
....

After all, it’s one thing to win a maiden heart, and very fine, but when a man-eater who’s sampled the best from Peshawar to Poona cries “Eureka!” over you, it’s no wonder if you glance in the mirror. At the same time, it’s quite a facer, and my first words, possibly instinctive, were:

“Christ, she ain’t pregnant, is she?”

Harry Flashman, Flashman and the Mountain of Light, George MacDonald Fraser.

6 comments:

Isabella Bradford/Susan Holloway Scott said...

Oh, yoo-hoo, Flashy! You can come visit us TNHG any ol' time.*g*

For those of our Dear Readers who've somehow overlooked this series -- the Flashman novels by George MacDonald Fraser are among the best historical fiction ever written. Ever. EVER.

Plus they're devilishly sexy and laugh-out-loud funny, as Loretta has reminded us here.

Jane O said...

Oh lordy, I do love Flashman.

Why did I have to find your site, ladies? You're making me spend time indulging myself when I should be doing something ... I don't know. Useful? Necessary? Unpleasant? Instead, I am now off to the library to see if I can find a Flashman book I haven't read yet. If not, I'll just have to reread.

Loretta Chase said...

Nerdy History Girl speaks simple truth. Fraser is simply wonderful.
Jane O, all I wanted to do was look up the quotation--I ended up re-reading half the book! Oh, to create a character like that! Oh, to write like that!

Marg said...

I have only read one Flashman, but I intend to read more as he is very funny, completely un-PC and a total hoot!

Loretta Chase said...

Marg, you've summed him up perfectly.

Vanessa Kelly said...

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've never read Flashman.

And now I must.

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket